Article by Chris Crossed
Read the full review here.
I wasn't sure what to expect when i received The Stride from Gen 3, a refurbished e-bike from a company out of Washington state, but after riding it for about a week I’d say a refurbished electric road bike is just as good as a new one.
This one came to me with 46 miles on it and other than a few scratches and scuffs the e-bike seems just as good as new. The thumb throttle was cracked from shipping but they sent me a quick replacement and I was back on the saddle in no time.
Were it not for the integrated black battery (10.4 ah) that is noticeable in the down tube you might not ever realize it's an e-bike.
I consider The Stride more of a traditional looking road ebike anyway, given its stature and thin tires (26x1.75). The battery is the only thing that gives it away.
According to the company, each of their refurbished ebikes go through a 50 point inspection by a technician before being shipped to you so you can be sure that everything works and is tuned properly. They come with free shipping, a 15 day trial and a 90 day limited warranty.
GEN3 STRIDE REVIEW:
Refurbished Ebikes Offer Value
New, this ebike sells for $1,499 but the refurbished ones can be had for a little more than half that. At that price, this ebike is probably one of the better values in the market.
Rated for riders at 275 pounds and below, this electric bike will fit even the shortest riders. I had my daughter who is 5 foot 3 try it out and at the lowest seat height she could still touch the ground. The minimum suggested rider height is 5'0.
The Stride is a class 2 ebike with speeds up to 20mph and offers 5 levels of pedal assist.
it's also a lightweight ebike weighing in at only 56 pounds. A great choice for those of you who hate heavy rides.
- 500W rated/900W peak power motor
- 40 miles of range (optimal)
- 500Wh 10.4 ah battery
- Black and white display
- Step-thru frame for easy riding
- 26x1.75 inch street tires
- Mechanical disc brakes
- Rear rack with spring loaded clamp
- Bell included
- Shimano Tourney 7-Speed RD-TY300D
- Brake rotors: Rear: 160mm, Front: 180mm
What I Like About The Stride
- Lightweight, makes it easy to maneuver.
- Solid power (Bafang motor) with 65 nm of torque, feels peppy
- Good components (seems well made)
- Feels solid, no rattles.
- Shifts are very smooth (better than my other e-bikes out of the box)
What I Dislike About the Stride
- Too small for my six foot frame, the skinny tires don't help that feeling. (smaller profile)
- Thumb throttle feels flimsy (it actually broke in shipping)
- The display is tiny, hard to see the battery level.
- Rear light you have to turn on in order to use.
Who is this Electric Road Bike for?
This would make a perfect e-bike for a mom to follow her kids around the neighborhood. Or a shorter person who still rides road e-bikes and wants to try an electric one.
It's a simple accessible ride for zipping around your local streets without attracting much attention. So the more casual rider should find it appealing.
Or if you simply want to get a $1499 e-bike for considerably less that could be a great reason to get one as well. Gen3 sells other styles as well that may suit your tastes. All versions use the same 10.4ah battery.
Read the full review here.